Liverpool Hospital Emergency Department
This is generally now agreed to be impractical in beta-blocker overdose. The dosing required generally exceeds hospital stocks. It has positive inotropic and chronotropic effects similar to beta adrenergic agonists.
- Calcium channel Overdose
- B- Blocker overdose
Dosage and Administration:
- Patient must be in a monitored area
- Bolus dose of 5mg IV
- Dosage can be repeated every 5 minutes after that
- If a clinical response is observed consider an infusion at 2-5mg/hr in 5% dextrose ∙
- Nausea and vomiting
- Amount of glucagon required to obtain effect will likely exceed hospital stores rapidly
- Failure to administer adequate dosage
- This is not regarded as a first line agent and its use is superseded by high dose euglycaemic therapy.